Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Diarrhoea 101

About 1.5 months back, DD had a bout of diarrhoea. It wasn't too serious initially and I continued to feed her what she normally eats, sans dairy. However, I found out that it wasn't enough just cutting out dairy and she would feel worse after every meal. I quickly googled (thank goodness for Google!) what she should or shouldn't be eating and here's what I found.

Foods to avoid:
- Diary
- Oily foods
- Sugary foods
- High fibre vegetables and fruits

Foods to eat:
Bland foods, follow the BRAT diet.
B - Bananas
R - Rice (or porridge for those of us who live in Asia)
A - Applesauce
T - Toast
Other food items which can be taken during diarrhoea include chicken without skin on. The chicken should be cooked without oil (eg baked or steamed). Eggs are also fine.

3 comments:

lulu said...

Oooh... what's wrong with high fibre fruits and veg?

The domestic engineer formerly known as a speechie said...

Well, high fibre foods stimulate the bowels. That's why we need high fibre foods to help "move the bowels" during regular days. But if one has diarrhoea, then we want don't want the bowels to be stimulate further!

lulu said...

I see! Thanks for explaining dear.